Community discussions

MikroTik App

DanielT
just joined
Topic Author

Hex S Hotspot with Non-Mikrotik APs

Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I've spent ages searching the forum for existing posts, but am unable to find anything relevant. Please could you assist or point me at an existing post.

I have a situation where a customer has 3 existing APs (Unifi) that have a basic open SSID and get DHCP from his existing network. I am unable to make any changes to these APs.

The customer requires a Hotspot solution. My idea was to implement a Hex S with my existing Hotspot setup on it, and plug his APs direct into that.

Ether1 of the Hex S is connected to the internet router and gets an IP address OK

I have setup a Hotspot on bridge1 which includes ports 2 to 5, and a DHCP Server providing 10.5.50.x address to the bridge (supposedly for Hotspot users), which is - understandably - currently providing DHCP to the Unifi APs, and a WiFi user does not get an IP address.

How do I force the Unifi AP's to use a DHCP Relay to the router? Or am I approaching this incorrectly?

Your assistance appreciated

DanielT

igorr29

Re: Hex S Hotspot with Non-Mikrotik APs

Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:22 pm

vlans?

DanielT
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:27 pm

I don't understand how vlans would assist. Perhaps you could provide an example?

Please recall that I am unable to access the Unifi's

Thanks

DanielT

igorr29

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:08 pm

every AP can have it's ssid tunneled thru a vlan.
if you don't know which vlan it is - then your wifi doesn't work, as there's no "exit" on the other side.
your dhcp gives IP to the unifi ap itself - but the wifi clients are 99% on a vlan. since you didn't setup a vlan on the hex - of course they don't get an ip.
you can either try to look which vlan is in the old router, or you have 4096 trials to guess the correct vlan. probably less as it's usually a round number like 10, 100,200,300..