Community discussions

MikroTik App

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: v7.13.5 [stable] is released!

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Such a list should be doable for Mikrotik as well.

But: Don't adopt Fortinet's security 🤣🤣🤣

nmt1900
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:01 pm

That last one was real black eye fo them for sure. It was real fun to waste hours in attempts of downoading the firmware. 88 megabyte file and 6 hours...

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:20 pm

It is also the acknowledging reply from support when they can reproduce an issue: "We are aware of this issue, and we look forward to fixing it on an upcoming RouterOS versions."
Breaking MTU handling on bridges should not be a known issues but a showstopper as it has the potential to put WAN interfaces offline. There is also not much concept nor priorities: Everything is changed all the time, instead of concentrating on a few topics and fix/complete them in a meaningful order: WiFi, Bridging, L3HW, IPv6, MLAG etc. is still buggy and incomplete, but they add Rose/SMB, containers and similar stuff being a nice add-on, but not worth bothering as long as the basics are not ready. Documentation is in a poor state and and obviously written without the required English skills.

But we have to keep it fair: For the price point of MT HW, we cannot expect enterprise grade SW development an testing. After all, MT is just a few hundred peoples in a small country. For many of of our Cisco, Juniper etc. boxes the annual support contract alone is more expensive than a complete CCR2216.
And without MT many small ISPs and also larger ones in developing countries would not exists, and many peoples would not have access to internet. MT did a lot for many peoples around the world. I saw this myself in the Philippines and in Thailand.

spippan

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 pm

...and obviously written without the required English skills.
OT but stating that and than write "peopleS" more than once ... quite a shot to the knee i might add ;)

PS:
MT started as a wireless and routing software company and are fairly young in switching-business.
one of the hardest certifications is the switching cert. from them

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:11 pm

Documentation is in a poor state and and obviously written without the required English skills.
I agree with the state of documentation. It can be improved quite a bit.

About English ... do you speak Latvian ? I guess not. I definitely don't.
Personally I think the quality of English is still pretty acceptable. Really !
I've seen a lot worse coming from other persons and I've worked with A LOT of nationalities during my career.

Unless you are able to communicate with the other person in his/her native language, I might suggest you do not comment on any effort done by the same person to use a common ground, flawed as it may be. They are doing an effort to make it available for an as wide audience as possible.

spippan

Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:12 am

I've seen a lot worse coming from other persons and I've worked with A LOT of nationalities during my career.
haha exactly. ever dealt with Cisco TAC? most of the time you get connected to someone in india or bosnia ... good luck with that. had my fair share with them and now really like to consider reading docs and boards rather than talking to cisco tac ever again

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 am

I prefer reading (good) docs over talking at any time.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am

...and obviously written without the required English skills.
OT but stating that and than write "peopleS" more than once ... quite a shot to the knee i might add ;)

peopleS is a valid spelling in certain cases. I wouldn't say that @spippan didn't use it correctly in his post.

BTW, I'm not a native English speaker either, so sometimes it's hard for me to follow subtle linguistic twists as well. And I definitely make mistakes all the time.

nmt1900
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:10 pm

I am not native English speaker either but I don't see a problem in technical English what comes to Mikrotik release notes and other things of that nature.
In my previous field of work I have been doing translations of documentation of my main field of work (mainly project documentation of my own "making", which was my main field of work back then) to at least 2 languages and I have not been able to see issues with language in Mikrotik documentation.

Problem is in the contents and not in "semantics" - we are not dealing with "English literature" here. Look around at the world - it is not hard to find more "linguistically challenged" documentation for hardware and software of chinese or korean origin then from anywhere in Europe.

EdPa
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:58 pm

RouterOS v7.14 has been released
viewtopic.php?t=205097