Community discussions

MikroTik App

harryoooooooooo
just joined
Topic Author

SSH "message authentication code incorrect" when transferring big files

Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:10 pm

Hi there, I'm here to ask whether this is a general issue on this model (and the ETA of the fix) and whether a workaround exists.

So my device model is hAP ax3. My setup is simple - Port 1 is connected to the outer network and ports 2-5 connect to the local devices. Ports 2-5 are bridged and NAT/DHCP server are enabled.

When using hAP as a SSH ProxyJump host, transferring big files always fails with the below error in several minutes (the packet length varies):
$ truncate -s 10G test_file
$ scp -o ProxyJump=192.168.87.1 test_file 192.168.87.11:/dev/null

Bad packet length 2946315134.
ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to 192.168.87.1 port 22: message authentication code incorrect
client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe
lost connection

It ONLY happens when the hAP's ssh is involved in the transfer:
  • An outer network device transfers data to an inter network device, using hAP as the ProxyJump host -> FAIL
  • An outer network device transfers data to an inter network device, hAP simply port forward -> SUCCESS
  • Two inter network devices transfer data and use hAP as the ProxyJump host -> FAIL
  • Two inter network devices transfer data directly -> SUCCESS

When the issue happens, other existing SSH connections on hAP won't be affected. But if SSH ControlMaster is set up (so they actually use the same connection), all SSH connection would be broken.

So far I've tried:
  • Update the RouterOS - I just bought the device and it was 7.13.2. Updated to 7.14.2 and the issue persists.
  • Setup MSS clamping or set MSS=1000 in /ip/firewall/mangle
  • Decrease the MTU for all ethernet interfaces
  • Explicitly specify the SSH MAC - hAP ax3 supports only 4 MACs and I tried each of them
  • Shorter the SSH ServerAliveInterval option to 1

None of the above works. Here are my routerOS configuration:
/ip/dhcp-client/print
Columns: INTERFACE, USE-PEER-DNS, ADD-DEFAULT-ROUTE, STATUS, ADDRESS
# INTERFACE  USE-PEER-DNS  ADD-DEFAULT-ROUTE  STATUS  ADDRESS
0 ether1     yes           yes                bound   XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/XX

/ip/address/print
Flags: D - DYNAMIC
Columns: ADDRESS, NETWORK, INTERFACE
#   ADDRESS            NETWORK         INTERFACE
0   192.168.87.1/24    192.168.87.0    bridge1
1 D XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/XX  XXX.XX.XXX.XXX  ether1

/ip/dhcp-server/print
Columns: NAME, INTERFACE, ADDRESS-POOL, LEASE-TIME
# NAME   INTERFACE  ADDRESS-POOL  LEASE-TIME
0 dhcp1  bridge1    dhcp_pool0    30m

/interface/bridge/port/print
Flags: I - INACTIVE
Columns: INTERFACE, BRIDGE, HW, PVID, PRIORITY, PATH-COST, INTERNAL-PATH-COST, HORIZON
#   INTERFACE  BRIDGE   HW   PVID  PRIORITY  PATH-COST  INTERNAL-PATH-COST  HORIZON
0   ether2     bridge1  yes     1  0x80             10                  10  none
1 I ether3     bridge1  yes     1  0x80             10                  10  none
2 I ether4     bridge1  yes     1  0x80             10                  10  none
3   ether5     bridge1  yes     1  0x80             10                  10  none
4   wifi1      bridge1          1  0x80             10                  10  none
5 I wifi2      bridge1          1  0x80             10                  10  none

/ip/firewall/nat/print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid; D - dynamic
 0    chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=ether1

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SSH "message authentication code incorrect" when transferring big files

Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:03 pm

I would not recommend using RouterOS SSH for anything more than device admin, it is proprietary and has had numerous bugs over the years and functionality of the SSH protocol beyond terminal access is likely rarely tested. Plus you will be putting extra load on your router and limiting throughput to whatever the device CPU can manage, there is no hardware crypto acceleration.

harryoooooooooo
just joined
Topic Author

Re: SSH "message authentication code incorrect" when transferring big files

Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am

Hi MikroTik, any official response?