Community discussions

MikroTik App

tikmakro
just joined
Topic Author

BGP ECMP resilient hashing

Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 am

Hi,

Are there any plans to introduce resilient hashing: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/u ... -ecmp.html?

I know ECMP mulitpath needs to land first, but be good to add this to the roadmap. Without, you briefly lose all peering sessions if any BGP peer goes down (or a new one is added).

Thanks.

markonen

Re: BGP ECMP resilient hashing

Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm

ECMP hashes changing should not normally affect peering sessions. Sure, if the peering session is over the ECMP link (implying multihop) then different paths would get chosen, but that should not affect the TCP session itself. The case where resilient hashing is more useful is ECMP load balancing of anycast endpoints, but (while I do exactly that) I think it's a more niche use case.

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BGP ECMP resilient hashing

Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:14 pm

ECMP hashes changing should not normally affect peering sessions. Sure, if the peering session is over the ECMP link (implying multihop) then different paths would get chosen, but that should not affect the TCP session itself. The case where resilient hashing is more useful is ECMP load balancing of anycast endpoints, but (while I do exactly that) I think it's a more niche use case.
+1

In a properly designed network, the BGP sessions are all PtP, there's no multi-hop and therefore there's no ECMPing for the session itself. Niche feature that isn't a priority for most professional networking environments.