Community discussions

MikroTik App

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

RB750GL Broken Webadmin - no login option

Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:40 am

I'm testing a VERY basic system and seem to suddenly have a "broken" http server on the routerboard.
It was working at first and now it is not.
It loads the normal HTTP main page just fine and graphs page works fine (without login).
However, there is no option to log in presented anymore.
I have the firewall rules very relaxed for testing (not on the Internet). and can access the HTTP page from any interface.
I am trying to learn something and actually "fix" this no login option issue.
And have not been able to find any pointers on this how or what might be causing this.
Nothing appears to be logged anywhere (with default settings) while accessing the HTTP page.
There's just currently no way to log in.
And I am not seeing any settings that would affect this.
Any clues would be very appreciated!
Winbox and SSH work perfectly fine and can login with those from any interface as expected.
Clicking on Webfig on the main page (missing login option) just reloads the main page as seen in the screenshot.
I'm sure applying a default settings would fix this but am trying to learn something and fix it at the level where it is broken or if I am somehow missing a setting that I have looked for and not found!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Re: RB750GL Broken Webadmin - no login option

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:15 am

I'm getting nowhere with this simple problem.
Not finding any info on this.
Any searches just return results about people having issues with hotspot logins.
And I really don't want to just factory default it to fix it.
It's behaving as if there is a setting to disable logins at the main HTTP web page the router serves up.
I'm stumped on something stupid here. Even if it's me that's stupid.

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 pm

First of all your ip is in the range of...
NetRange:       44.0.0.0 - 44.191.255.255
CIDR:           44.0.0.0/9, 44.128.0.0/10
NetName:        AMPRNET
NetHandle:      NET-44-0-0-0-1
Parent:         NET44 (NET-44-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        Direct Allocation
OriginAS:       
Organization:   Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC)
RegDate:        1992-07-01
Updated:        2021-12-14
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/44.0.0.0
And have you tested to clean the web browser cache or try to go to the device trough incognito window.
Is this ip inside of your network ? You should look at the https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt to config some of these ip ranges inside of your network instead.

And when you upgraded your router, did you reset the config, so you start from clean install. Maybe there something old from the old version 6, that's in conflict. Why not try to login to the router with ssh and do default config and do a reset.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

This is a test lab router. (not on the Internet).
I'm fully aware and familiar with the IP address space.
Yes, this was config reset since the update (clean install) and was working for a short time.
The config is very basic and firewall is set to allow connections to both WAN and LAN (any interface s described above) to access port 80 on the device.
It was working until it stopped working, did not seem to coincide with any change.
It's not a browser issue as has been tested from multiple browsers and computers both from the LAN and WAN.
It is looking like the only way to fix this is to reset the config again but was hoping to learn why it's doing this before giving up.
Last edited by Michiganbroadband on Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:59 pm

Incognito browser of course makes no difference.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:15 pm

I also tried adding an interface list called "LAN" and added the bridge being used for "LAN ports" to this list and rebooted.
This did not make any difference.
I'm still stuck with an HTTP server that loads the main routeros (including graphs which works without login) web page but does not give any option to log in.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:41 pm

"Why not try to login to the router with ssh and do default config and do a reset."
I am already aware that doing a reset/default config will fix this.
Rather I was trying to learn what setting or what not is causing this problem before wiping and starting clean again.
SSH login and winbox login work fine.
HTTP page does not even give the option to try to login.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am

No magic here eh? other than a factory reset to fix the HTTP server?
Thanks for looking.
-sg

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 am

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this in hardware.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:32 am

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this in hardware.
Or maybe, more simply, noone has any idea about the possible cause and thus how to fix it.
It could well be a glitch of some kind that only happens if you change settings of a bridge on third monday of April, on leap years. :shock:

Maybe using the browser inspection tool you can check the html that is served, from what you report it is like the login dialog is not loaded (because the hrml file, if any, is missing or the link to it or the code that generates it is corrupt).
Could be some json gone astray in /skins?

I don't think that there is any possible solution for troubleshooting besides backing up the current configuration, both the binary and the text (export) ways, and reset the device.
Then, try restoring manually the text configuration.
If the strange behaviour comes back, then it is likely that you found a "queer" configuration that causes the issue.
If it doesn't, reset again and try restoring the binary backup.
If the strange behaviour comes back, then it is likely that you did something that is not repeatable that caused the issue.
If it doesn't, it was the (rare) April leap year bug.

Comparing in the various stages the html served with the one that doesn't work may allow to find what is the problem, but hardly what has caused it,

That device should have 64 Mb of storage and no wifi, so it shouldn't be an issue related (common nowadays with 7.13+ RoS on wi-fi devices with only 16 Mb) to low storage space.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am

Hey thanks for the reply!
Yeah pretty much what you said, and looking at the HTML sources there's clearly no login form in the page.
Super easy to fix with a reinstall of course- but wanted to take this opportunity to figure out what the heck happened.
There's no configuration on this box that I am worried about saving or losing.
As a last throw- I could try copying the skins folder from a normal working device.
I might also be able to have a look at what's in there and see if something is missing or corrupt.
Also realizing any of this could just be "hardcorded" into the webserver somehow and not really be viewable on the surface or configurable.
I've not seen any documented settings about "disabling" login at the main HTTP mage or specifically disabling webmin while not disabling the main page or graphing access separately.
I'm also quite new to Mikrotik/RouterOS and this is how I am learning it and getting more familiar with it as I pick it apart a bit on stuff like this.

Michiganbroadband
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 am

I guess I finally gave up.
Skins folder is completely empty.
Also tried pulling a skins directory from a working system but that also is completely empty but working correctly with login page.
Reset configuration did not work.
So I gave up and did a netinstall.
And is of course working.
Grrrrr...

Fogga
just joined

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:28 pm

I got the same/similar problem in Firefox the other day after downgrading one of my testing lab's CRS326-24G-2S+'s from 7 to 6. At first I thought that I had bricked the box. But it worked fine in WinBox. Then I tried it in Edge and login displayed as expected. So I cleared the browsing cache in Firefox and restarted it. That gave me back the user/password boxes in Firefox again, and I could login normally.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm

OP tested with several broswers, various PC's, cleared caches, incognito mode, etc., so likely a different issue.

Fogga
just joined

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 pm

OP tested with several broswers, various PC's, cleared caches, incognito mode, etc., so likely a different issue.
My bad, I seem to have completely missed that part in post #3.