Community discussions

MikroTik App

angel204896
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to find wifi radio data after upgrade to 7.14.3

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 am

Hello All,

I have upgraded my Mikrotik from 6.49.10 to 7.14.3 and apparently I did a mistake.
After the upgrade, the router is still responsive (considering all other posts), but cannot identify its wireless module anymore.
Attached:
-Ver - currently running router OS
-error - errors seen in the log, after many router resets followed by several restarts.
Tried downgrade option to 6.49.10 - not possible to downgrade at all (which is kind of surprising, considering that the same downgrade option was working just fine on my 10+ years old Mikrotik).
Tried Netinstall - app can find/identify the router, but failed to apply any change. Several attempts, but no luck. Attempts were done as per vendor/Mikrotik recommendation using my home laptop, I have no other options.

Looks like upgrade switched my wireless router to wired only router. It can boot, load OS and wired interfaces, but "Unable to find wifi radio" as per log file.
Do you believe there is a way to fix this router or I simply have to buy new home router?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unable to find wifi radio data after upgrade to 7.14.3

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:34 am

You can not upgrade from 6.x to 7.14 straight away.
You first have to pass 7.12 (7.11 ?) since drastic changes are present as of 7.13 (and 7.12 prepares for that so the upgrade goes automatically doing the required changes in background).

So I am assuming you used netinstall to move from 6.x to 7.14 in which case I suspect you forgot the required wireless package (which is completely separate now, not bundled anymore in the main ROS package).

Since you have AC3, you have TWO options:
- wireless - this will restore the wireless behavior like you had it before. In GUI menus will be in wireless / wifi
- wifi-qcom-ac - wave2 drivers. HUGE difference both in performance but also setup-wise ! In GUI menus will be in Wifi.
See here for more info:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Wireless

Without one of those wireless packages, you will see Wifi in menu structure but it does not do a lot. Those are only the basic hooks (and to allow your device to act as capsman controller for wave2 devices).

Look for those packages in the extra packages for arm. Only one can be installed at the same time on your device or no wireless again.

angel204896
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Problem fixed:
System > packages > wifi-qcom - disable
System > packages > wifi-qcom-ac - enable. (I am running AC-device)
Reboot at the end as well.

It is kind of interesting, why device decided to use wrong package. I saw different files in packages then what was before, so I uploaded all of them within one and the same place, expecting routerOS to be intelligent enough to use correct package, but apparently it has happened the other way around.
Also need to apply new wifi names on rules under Bridge > Ports, because DHCP was not working at all.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 pm

It is kind of interesting, why device decided to use wrong package. I saw different files in packages then what was before, so I uploaded all of them within one and the same place, expecting routerOS to be intelligent enough to use correct package, but apparently it has happened the other way around.

ROS is highly flexible when it comes to letting administrator do many different things. And thus includes installing optional packages, nothing will prevent you to install additional packages as long as they are for same architecture and same ROS version as basic package (routeros). It's always up to device admin "to know his ways".

The only intelligence built into upgrade process is in the command /system/package/upgrade/install (or rather download) which checks currently installed packages and downloads their counterparts. The breaking point (mentioned in this thread before) happened with 7.13 and upgrader in 7.12 is able to pass this point without breaking configuration. By choosing to upgrade your device manually, you also chose to ignore the intelligence of built-in installer.

BTW, as you found out that wifi-qcom package doesn't do any good on your ac3 device, you may want to actually uninstall it (not to unnecessarily occupy precious flash space).