Community discussions

MikroTik App

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

The ultimate home Layer 3 switch

Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:59 pm

I'm currently in the market for an upgrade to my home switches, and I've been scouring various listings, but unfortunately, none from MikroTik seem to fit the bill.

Here are the essential features I'm seeking:
  • Fanless operation for quiet performance.
  • Two or more SFP+/SFP28 ports for high-speed connectivity (SFP28 PCI are super affordable these days).
  • At least 4 copper ports exceeding 1 Gbps for versatile connectivity options.
  • A CPU with Layer 3 capabilities, including NAT and fastrack offloading (meaning a 98DX8... chip or better).
  • A minimum of 32MB flash storage or higher.
  • Max 30 watts (which limit to 8 to 10 ports which is already plenty)
  • Sub 200USD price tag (ok maybe a bit more if it has L3 capabilities but not twice that and certainly much less if it is a L2 only switch)
The closest Mikrotik dream will be a refresh of the old CRS309 with more flash and at least 4 combo ports.

If anyone has come across a switch that meets these criteria or has recommendations from personal experience, I'd greatly appreciate your insights. Your expertise would be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision for my home network upgrade.

mada3k
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: The ultimate home Layer 3 switch

Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 am

Please stop posting this non-sense requests for something not really possible in 2024 and just for your personal needs.

"home/fanless", "SFP28" and "cheap"

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:03 pm

Closest = CRS310-8G+2S+IN

Not fanless.
The correct switch chip
Enough 2.5G ports
Over 200USD.
Only SFP+
34W max

For the rest, one is allowed to dream...

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:38 pm

Thanks for feedbacks,

98DX226S chip of CRS310-8G+2S+IN does not support Fasttrack or NAT connection offloading in hardware according to https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Offloading

but I agree it is close enough and below the 200 USD mark in my country.

As I would only need one with NAT offloading, I could complete with CRS309 which I know works well also with some NAT or throw a CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS.

@mada3k, I am not sure why I should not be asking for SFP28 ports almost 10 years after it was introduced... Furthermore if I start to remove any so called "dream" requirements I might easily get second hand L3 switches on ebay (like for eg ICX7250 with plenty ports and near silent fan).