Community discussions

MikroTik App

Agraham
just joined
Topic Author

CAPS MAN WIFI - Devices ROS6 and ROS7

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am

Hey everyone,

I'm seeking some guidance on integrating a new L009UiGS-RM WiFi device into my current setup. Currently, I'm running CAPsMAN on 1100AHx2 hardware with Package and firmware version 6.49.10.

My main query revolves around the compatibility and the proper procedure to add the L009UiGS-RM to this existing setup. Is it feasible to integrate this new device into my current configuration?

From my initial research, it seems like the most viable option might be to procure a new device with ROS7 solely for controller purposes and then set up both CAPsMAN units on it. However, I'm uncertain about the practicality and effectiveness of this approach.

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPS MAN WIFI - Devices ROS6 and ROS7

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 am

You can run both versions of capsman on the same device as of ROS7.13.
The only caveat is that if that controller device also has a local radio, it will loose that capability since you need to have legacy wireless package loaded as well for legacy capsman compatibility.

If your L009 is the wifi version, you will loose its radio if you load wireless package.
I had both capsman versions running at home in a test setup on a simple Hex.

However ... what are the devices for which you need to retain legacy capsman capability ?
If they are all arm-based AC devices (wap AC, cap AC, AC2, AC3, ...) they can run the new wifi drivers as well (with a cautionary note for the limited storage those devices mostly have, not much else but AP functions should be run on those devices then).
And then you only have wave2 capsman which remains.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CAPS MAN WIFI - Devices ROS6 and ROS7

Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:10 pm

(with a cautionary note for the limited storage those devices mostly have, not much else but AP functions should be run on those devices then).
With the additional caveat that a common way of setting up a guest VLAN via tagging on the interface itself via CAPsMAN v2 doesn't seem to work. Several posts on this which I need to get back to before I try upgrading cAP ac clients to qcom-ac.

It took me far too long to get my head around this compatibility matrix but the summary that you can't have both wireless packages at the same time thus loosing local wireless and that only legacy devices running Arm CPU can use the new wireless package.